Champions for Children Menâ€™s Basketball Tournament Taking Place
To benefit children with developmental disabilities
April 18, 2012
The 6th Annual Champions for Children Basketball Tournament will take place Friday, April 27 through Sunday, April 29 at the University of Maine at Farmington’s Dearborn Gym located on High Street. Franklin Community Health Network (FCHN) is organizing the fundraising event.
The beneficiary will be Franklin Health Child & Adolescent Developmental Pediatrics, which treats children with developmental disabilities such as autism spectrum disorders, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, and difficulties with learning and school performance. Proceeds from the tournament will provide needed care for children whose families are uninsured.
High caliber men’s teams from throughout Maine are slated to participate. Tournament games will be held Friday evening from 6 – 8 p.m. and Saturday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m. Championship games will take place on Sunday from 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
Saturday will feature an exhibition game at noon between FCHN employees, led by “Coach” Dr. David Dixon, and Wilton Recreation Department coaches. It’s an opportunity to cheer on the people who are part of caring for community members and mentors for local children.
Sponsors include: Ranor Mechanical, RBC Dain Rauscher, Darryl & Penny Brown, Hebert Construction, Hight Chevrolet Buick GMC, Kyes Insurance, Ernest Stables, United Insurance -Western Maine Insurance, Androscoggin Bank, Cullenberg Law Office, and Sweeney Rogers Geraghty Inc.
Tickets are $5 for adults, $3 for children, and those under 5 are free. Concessions including sandwiches, popcorn, home baked goods, and beverages will be available from the Franklin Memorial Hospital Auxiliary. A silent auction will take place that includes a Maine Red Claws Inaugural Season Yearbook 2009-2010 autographed by Austin Ainge, first head coach of the Red Claws and Director of Player Personnel for the Boston Celtics in 2011. It is a limited edition, numbered collector’s item.
“This is an opportunity for basketball enthusiasts to enjoy affordable family fun and delicious refreshments—all for the benefit of Maine children with disabilities,” said Tom Hagerstrom, FCHN development director.
Silent Auction Happening Too
This year’s tournament features a small Silent Auction. Anyone may bid on items on Thursday and Friday in the hospital cafeteria. Items will also be displayed at the tournament. Items include:
- Boston Red Sox Tickets – Premium Seats! Red Sox vs. Cleveland, Friday, May 11th @ 7:10 PM - Pavilion Box 7, Row A, Seats 5-6. *Value – $100+ per ticket
- Lifetime Shatter Proof Portable Basketball System – Value $199
- COLLECTORS ITEM: Maine Red Claws Inaugural Season Yearbook 2009-2010 autographed by Austin Ainge, first head coach of the Red Claws and Director of Player Personnel for the Boston Celtics in 2011. It is a limited edition, numbered collector’s item. *Value – Priceless
- Rainbow Bicycle & Fitness – Gift Certificate for One Bicycle Tune-up. *Value $49.95
- $25 Gift Certificate to the Sunset Grille in Rangeley * Value - $25
- Spa Pedicure at Body, Mind, & Spirit - *Awarded to the 2 highest bidders * Value - $40 each
- Under Armour Gripskin Basketball *Value - $30.00
- One hour massage at Above Average Massage Therapy * Value - $50
- KJUS Sportswear item – TBA
- $50 Gift Certificate to Sarges Sports Pub in Rangeley – *Awarded to the 2 highest bidders *Value - $50 each
Winners will be notified on Monday, April 30
For information about games and sponsorship opportunities, contact Hagerstrom at 779-2471.
Subscribe to our RSS news feed