Healthy Community Coalition Youth Programs
Physical Activity and Nutrition:
Services offered by HCC's Nutrition Educators include:
- Grocery Tours – Learn how to shop on a budget
- Cooking classes for adults and teens
- Nutrition education at your school or childcare
- Nutrition education for seniors
Let’s Go! is a nationally recognized childhood obesity prevention program. Our goal is to increase physical activity and healthy eating for children from birth to 18 through policy and environmental change. Let’s Go! works in child care, school, out of school and health care settings to reach families where they live, learn, work and play to reinforce the importance of healthy eating and physical activity.
5 – fruits and veggies
2 – hours or less of recreational screen time*
1 – hour or more of physical activity
0 – sugary drinks, more water
* Keep TV/computer out of bedroom. No screen time under the age of 2.
What We Do
Let’s Go!’s 5210 program provides participating programs with a toolkit, online resources, and technical assistance to help guide them in successfully supporting increased physical activity and healthy eating for children and youth.
To address the policies, practices, and environments that influence healthy lifestyle behaviors, programs can use our 10 key strategies:
- Provide healthy choices for snacks and celebrations; limit unhealthy choices.
- Provide water and low-fat milk; limit or eliminate sugary beverages.
- Provide non-food rewards.
- Provide opportunities for children to get physical activity every day.
- Limit recreational screen time.
- Participate in local, state, and national initiatives that promote healthy eating and active living.
- Engage community partners to help support and promote healthy eating and active living at your site.
- Partner with and educate families in adopting and maintaining a lifestyle that supports healthy eating and active living.
- Implement a staff wellness program that includes healthy eating and active living.
- Collaborate with Food and Nutrition Programs to offer healthy food and beverage options.
For more information contact Molly Clark, FNP at firstname.lastname@example.org or 779-2929.