Surgery Admission Instructions
Stop at Patient Registration in the Surgical Unit
The Patient Registration Clerk will direct you to the Pre-Admission Testing. If your doctor has ordered an EKG, x-ray, or lab work, this will be done at your pre-evaluation. Be sure to bring any medications that you are taking and leave these medications in their original bottle. A nurse will ask you about your medical history.
Before your surgery
- Stop taking all herbal supplements 10 days prior to surgery.
- Please do not eat or drink anything after midnight prior to your surgery. You will be advised of any exceptions.
The day of your surgery
- Take any medications your doctor or nurse has instructed you to take with a sip of water on the morning of your surgery. You will be advised of any exceptions.
- Please do not chew gum or candy, as this creates stomach acid.
- Leave all jewelry, piercings, and contact lenses at home. You may wear glasses, dentures, and hearing aids.
- Children should bring their favorite toy to the hospital.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothing.
- Take a bath or shower before coming to the hospital. Remove all excessive facial makeup. Depending on your surgery type, you may be asked to use a special skin cleanser that the hospital will provide.
- Arthroscopy and foot surgery patients should bring crutches to the hospital. Wear sweat pants or loose clothing.
- Please make arrangements to bring money or insurance cards with you so that you can pick up any medications at your pharmacy on the way home.
- You will need to have someone drive you home and should plan on having someone with you the evening of your surgery.