Laboratory at Franklin Memorial Hospital
Who We Are
The Franklin Memorial Hospital Laboratory is nationally accredited and regulated by the College of American Pathologists (CAP), the American Association of Blood Banks (AABB), the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act (CLIA), the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), and the Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). The laboratory employs one full time board certified pathologist and 40 staff members all professionally educated, certified and trained to provide quality service and testing accuracy for our community.
Our knowledgeable and skilled staff is dedicated to providing excellence in the care of all patients and to producing quality results for our patients and providers.
To provide accurate, timely, cost-effective laboratory services while maintaining the highest level of caring and respect for our patients, our clients, our hospital and our profession.
Excellence in Technology
The Franklin Memorial Hospital Laboratory is a state of the art facility providing a full range of diagnostic testing services to patients and clients from Franklin, Androscoggin, Somerset, Kennebec, and Oxford counties.
- Our Laboratory services are comparable to any other hospital laboratory services in the State of Maine.
- We process approximately 250,000 orderable test procedures, 1,275,000 test results and serve approximately 75,000 patients every year.
- We utilize the Beckman Coulter™ laboratory technical analyzer equipment and we are the beta site for Beckman Coulter,™ the premier manufacturer of quality laboratory equipment.
- We are one of the first hospital to use phlebotomy scanners to identify patients, procedures, and specimens.
- Using the latest equipment for all testing analysis, our Laboratory consistently provides high quality, cost-effective, patient centered care.
- Our cutting edge tissue processing system provides improved tissue preparation for anatomic pathology.
- OurLaboratory is fully automated and computerized with direct lines to most physician offices, clinics and nursing care facilities. This enables us to print patient reports directly to offices without delay.
We offer an extensive range of services, including:
- Full Service Blood Bank including an Autologous Program
- Point of Care Testing
- Histology / Cytology
Outreach Programs and Services
The FMH Laboratory’s extensive Outreach Program provides courier service to Physician offices and clinics within Greater Franklin County. The courier service makes approximately 35 stops per day, traveling over 1000 miles per week, from Livermore Falls to Rangeley to Kingfield and many stops in between. We provide an early morning phlebotomy service to area Nursing Care Facilities. We also provide home draws for our house-bound patients as needed.
Laboratory Tests Collection Instructions & Requirements
Instructions for Lab Tests that Require Fasting
Fasting means that you cannot have anything to eat or drink for 12 hours prior to having your blood drawn. You may drink water. You should also continue to take your medications unless otherwise instructed by your physician. Tests that require you to fast include:
- Basic Metabolic Panel (fasting suggested)
- Block III
- Cholesterol Test
- Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (fasting suggested)
- Fasting Glucose
- Vitamin A
- Glucose Tolerance Tests
- Vitamin B6
- Iron Status to FBR
- Vitamin C
- Lipid Profile
- Vitamin E
- Lipoprotein Profile
- Vitamin K1
Outpatient Laboratory Services Hours and Appointment Schedule
Open to inpatients 24 hours per day, 365 days a year.
Open to outpatients Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Tuesday and Thursday from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.; and Saturday 7 to 11 a.m.
We serve our patients on a walk-in basis; we do not take appointments. (The exception is the Glucose Tolerance Test patients. They are scheduled Monday through Friday starting at 7 a.m.)
A physician order is necessary for testing and every patient must stop to register at the Patient Registration desk before arriving in the laboratory.